30 December 2010

Blyth Beach Huts by Steven Warren

Blyth Beach Huts

5 questions about this photo:

Q1. What equipment did you use?
Canon EOS 450D, Sigma EX 18-50mm

Q2. What settings did you have on your camera?
F/16, shutter 1/60, ISO 400, focal length 37mm.

Q3. What software did you use during the post-production?
Adobe Camera Raw used to adjust exposure to give the 'high key' look. Photoshop CS3 used to merge the 12 shots and then add some dodging and burning to improve contrast.

Q4. What is the location?
Blyth, Northumberland, UK

Q5. How did you come up with the idea of this shot?
I had seen these huts a number of times but really wanted to do something different from the norm. I intentionally got as close to the huts as possible to get the extreme fisheye look (that's why it took 12 shots taken in portrait orientation to get it all in). The idea to blow out the sky came to me in post processing as it made the colours pop a little better and gave a nicer minimalist feel to the shot.

Extra Q: Please share an interesting or funny fact that happened while working on this photograph.
This was meant to be a practice shoot to see if my idea would work. I didn't think the light was right on location and planned to come back just after sunrise so the huts would be front lit, rather than backlit. However, when I finished with the shot I was really pleased with it - sometimes photography just works out like that I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment