24 October 2010

Fire and Ice by James Neeley

Fire and Ice

5 questions about this photo:

Q1. What equipment did you use?
Nikon D3s with the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 lens

Q2. What settings did you have on your camera?
The shot was taken at f2.8, ISO 3200, and 30 sec. exposure.

Q3. What software did you use during the post-production?
I used minimal post processing, only curves adjustment in Photoshop.

Q4. What is the location?
The image is taken from the bridge of the outlet of Convict Lake, California.

Q5. How did you come up with the idea of this shot?
We went to the location to do some night photography as part of a workshop I was leading with Mountain High Workshops. Our intention was to shoot the Milky Way over Convict lake and reflecting in the lake. Much to my surprise and chagrin the Milky Way was to the right because the lake is oriented to the southwest which I did not appreciate until we were on site. There was also more light pollution in the west than I expected. So to get some kind of interesting shot I pulled out my little LED flashlight from my camera bag and quickly passed over the foreground rocks during one of the exposures. On review of the image it looked like it would be successful. We tried other light painting shots but the others just didn't work out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment