11 October 2010

Midnight Sun by John & Tina Reid

Midnight Sun

5 questions about this photo:

Q1. What equipment did you use?
Canon 5D Mark II with a Canon 24-105 mm lens

Q2. What settings did you have on your camera?
30 second exposure at F5 - ISO 200

Q3. What software did you use during the post-production?
I used Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5 to retouch this image - the final image is almost straight out of camera - the only change was removing my underwear which was sticking out from the top of my shorts.
The image looks slightly surreal because we manipulated the light. My wife (the photographer) used a graduated filter for the sky and ran around me popping a flash multiple times during the exposure. It sort of gives the appearance that I'm glowing.


Q4. Who is the model?
The model was myself. I hardly ever take self portraits, but in the middle of Iceland, at 12 at night, not many models would pose in their costumes at an ice lagoon :)

Q5. How did you come up with the idea of this shot?
The idea was born from the fact that I was struggling to get a unique image of Jökulsárlón. I had a few flash units with me, so I thought of including a person in the scene. It evolved from there.

Extra Q: Please share an interesting or funny fact (if any) that happened while working on this photograph.
Lying on the stones covered me in black gravel. To get changed and clean required stripping on the spot. I figured at midnight, no-one would come exploring, so I assumed it was safe. Whilst completely in my birthday suite, I heard people coming around the corner. It was a mad scramble to get my clothes on, but I managed it in about 10 seconds flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment