21 December 2010

Peeling The Moon by Sean Bagshaw

Peeling The Moon

5 questions about this photo:

Q1. What equipment did you use?
Canon 5D MK II, Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS lens, Gitzo Tripod, my jacket

Q2. What settings did you have on your camera?
1/6 second @ f/22, ISO 100

Q3. What software did you use during the post-production?
This was originally a very low contrast image. In Photoshop CS I used a series of Curves adjustment layers with blending modes set to overlay, soft light and screen. This increased contrast and saturation. I further worked the luminosity and contrast with some localized dodging and burning on a dodge/burn layer.

Q4. What is the subject of the photo?
This is dry, cracked mud in the Utah desert that has been pitted by rain drops.

Q5. How did you come up with the idea of this shot?
I was hiking several miles across the Utah desert to photograph a remote slot canyon. Along the way I noticed this wonderfully textured mud in a dry river bed. The mid day light was very harsh and contrasty so I shaded the area with my jacket. This allow the more subtle warm light reflecting from the bank of the river bed to be visible. I felt that the abstract pattern, pitted surface texture and the way that the light caught the tips of the curled mud made a compelling image.

Extra Q: Please share an interesting or funny fact that happened while working on this photograph.
When I finally reached the slot canyon I found it filled with water. I waded into the icy water with my camera bag held over my head. The water quickly became deep and soon only my head and camera were not submerged. Not able to continue farther I had to hike back to my car in wet clothes and without a photo from the slot canyon. The photo of the cracked mud was a good consolation however.

No comments:

Post a Comment